Mechyrdia is the capital world of the Empire of Mechyrdia, and the homeworld of humanity. It is a heavily polluted urban/industrial world to the point that the Mechyrdian humans have gene-modded themselves to be resistant to toxins and pollution.
As the capital world, Mechyrdia is home to the Imperial Legislature, the Imperial Chancellery, and the Imperial Palace.
Before the Circumdrive
Before the circumdrive, humanity inhabited the planet Erþ, within the Solm system. Mankind's technology was advancing at an exponential rate. After a hiatus on human space travel, by 1495 PC a primitive automobile was launched into orbit around the home star. This automobile would later be located and put in an Erþan museum of early human space travel.
The Early Space Age and the Dark Age
In 1444 PC, humanity invented the circumspace drive, allowing them to travel interstellar distances and colonize other worlds. Humans colonized many worlds, one among them Mechyrdia. Mechyrdia was not a normal colony, however; it was an experiment by various engineering enthusiasts to create a technological culture and language. The Mechyrdian humans were seen as unusual outcasts by the humans of other worlds, and yet their technology was widely sought after.
In 1209 PC, an authoritarian state of several alien races, known as the Drakhassi Federation, came to humanity and enslaved the populace, treating humans as state property, forcing them to work for nothing in return, and executing any who resisted.
Eventually, the humans would rise up in revolution and seize one of the federation's planet-breakers. They went from world to world, evacuating the humans, pillaging the technology and resources, and then destroying the planet.
The Republic and Kingdom
The humans formed a revolutionary republican government, focused on destroying tyranny and spreading the human race across the stars. This republic would not last, as an ambitious general Nikolaius Burgund would execute a coup d'état and declare himself king.
As the king, Nikolaius I would attempt to conquer the entire galaxy, but he was beaten down by the alien coalition. The aliens broke the human nation into several petty fiefs and feudal realms, all dominated by the Tylan Theocracy.
The Age of Theocracy and Old Faiths Reformation
The human realms were indoctrinated into the Theocratic Tylan Church, and some even joined in on the Tylan Great Holy Wars. Most technology was imported from the Tylan Theocracy, as human inventions and innovations were suppressed.
However, the Old Faiths Reformation would change that. Within the human states closer to the galactic west, people began rebelling against the Tylan religion and returning to their old ways. In this rebellion, the realms saw a need for unity, and thus federated under one banner: the Star Empire of Mechyrdia, in the year 0 OC.
The Empire of Mechyrdia
- See: Mechyrdia#History
The Mechyrdian capital world is an ecumenopolitan ocean world. In early human history, much of Mechyrdia was frozen ice desert or tundra, with a small band of temperate climate around the equator. Now, pollution from millennia of industry has melted the ice and turned the planet into a massive, continuous ocean. This was of little consequence to the human civilization, as they had already build their cities underground for better access to geothermal heat.
The vast Mechyrdian ocean can dissolve plastic; not because the plastic is biodegradable, but instead because the ocean is so full of industrial waste chemicals that it can dissolve essentially anything. Mechyrdian ocean-water is toxic for contact to all non-human species; humans, however, can so much as drink it and survive without medical attention due to centuries of gene-modding to make them immune to pollution.
There is no macroscopic marine life in the ocean, having been either hunted to extinction or killed by pollution. The only animal or plant life on Mechyrdia is either domestic or agricultural, existing within homes or small underground farms.
The planet has a total of 49,152 public shielded passageways from the high atmosphere to underground starship docking hubs; many more exist too, however they're for government or military use only, and their locations are not publicly accessible knowledge.
In the year 172, it was determined though extensive surveys that Mechyrdia is the most polluted planet in the galaxy, a title that it still holds to the present.
The capitol buildings of Mechyrdia, the Imperial Legislature and the Imperial Chancellery, are located at Swamp Square (Mec. Paloudlic Placj), at the rotational south pole of the planet. The name was chosen as an example of self-deprecating humor, as the politicians are calling their own capital a swamp.
The Imperial Palace is a station orbiting the planet, housing the Imperial Family. It is the most well-defended station in the entirety of the Empire, with thousands of particle cannon turrets, positron torpedo cluster launchers, several separate shield generators, and near-impenetrable hull armor.
The Hellevator is a massive series of elevators that leads from the top levels of the subterranean habitation to an urban complex near the mantle of the planet, named Hell (Mec. Helvet, Tyl. Helvet). Hell is the home of a massive geothermal power-generation complex that gives the rest of the planet electricity, as well as several hotels, apartment buildings, and themed restaurants.
The Mechyrd System
The Mechyrd system is the home star system of the planet Mechyrdia. It has seven planets: five terrestrial, two gas giant.
- Wótan: A terrestrial mining world, consisting of a large iron core, a small mantle, and a thin crust. This planet has a large mining industry; the iron in its core is mined out by robots and teleported to cargo ships in orbit.
- Suotówid: A terrestrial colony, with a surface covered in large amounts of iron oxide. It has habitable colonies both on the surface and underground.
- Tivó: A terrestrial weapons testing world, covered in massive craters and ground-level butts of poisonous gas from centuries of weapon testing. It used to have a moon, but that was slammed into the planet to test the deadly power of massive impacts.
- Mechyrdia: The capital planet of the Empire, this planet once had many biomes: snow deserts at and around the poles, tundra and taiga around the middle zones, and temperate plains and forest at the equator. Now it is a highly toxic ocean world with extensive subterranean habitation.
- Ména: The larger of two Mechyrdian moons. Previously a barren rock world, Ména has been terraformed into a habitable world and serves as a massive suburb complex, with rows upon rows of identical houses.
- Laiśtiancj: The smaller of the two Mechyrdian moons. Laiśtiancj is used as a massive computer complex, rented out to those who need heavy computation power.
- Seþlancj: A carbon planet, with a surface covered in various hydrocarbons and tholins. Used as a mining world, with a fuel refinery in orbit.
- Peroun: A brown drawf almost-star, with 3.2E27 kg of mass, this planet generates a large amount of energy from gravitational compression. This planet has a few colonies in its upper atmosphere, colloquially named "sky hives".
- Onenneia: A terrestrial moon, with a hot metallic core, a flowing mantle, and a crust covered in sulfur compounds. High amounts of volcanic activity make it unsuitable for habitation. Interactions between its magnetic field and that of Peroun create large auroras on the moon.
- Zrógia: A terrestrial moon, covered in ice with a thick layer of liquid water underneath. Traveling too close to this moon has been known to induce nightmares, hallucinations, and loss of sanity. For this reason, Zrógia has been classified as a Class 3 Cognitohazard.
- Niórþer: A gas giant much smaller than Peroun, Niórþer is made of more heavy chemicals, such as water and ammonia, than it is of hydrogen and helium. This gives it the official designation of ice giant, differing from gas giants by composition.